Re: Size Issues of Oracle running on Unix

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/01/07

All of this can be found in the Oracle7/Oracle8 Server Reference Manual as well...

On Tue, 06 Jan 1998 18:10:39 -0500, Robert Wheeler <rbwheeler_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

>Dear Professionals:
>
>I need the following questions answered in regard to size issues on a
>Oracle database running on a Unix Platform:
>
>1. Maximum size of a table

limited only by the max size of the database which under 7.x is:

1022 (max datafiles) times the max size of a file on that OS (2-32gig in general). So, 2 - 32 Terabytes in general.

Under 8.x is:

64k * Max File size. Its theoretically into hundreds of petabytes with oracle8.

>2. Maximum size of a row

In 7.x it is:

254 * 2000 bytes (about 500k) of "structured" information or 253 * 2000 bytes + 2gig of "strucutured" and unstructured (long/long raw) data

In 8.x it is:

1000 * 4000 bytes of structured information or upto 1000 * 4gig of unstructured information (each of the 1,000 columns in a table could be a 4gig blob in O8).

>3. Maximum number of rows in any 1 table

Limited only by the size of the table which is limited by the size of the database (see above)

>4. Maximum number of fields/columns in a row

O7- 254
O8- 1000

>5. Maximum number of disk drives a table can span

1022 (in general) in 7.x
65,533 in 8.x

>If anyone has this information please send it to me at
>robert_at_symbolic.com
>
>I appreciate all your help!
>
>Robert Wheeler
>Symbolic Systems, Inc.
>robert_at_symbolic.com

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Wed Jan 07 1998 - 00:00:00 CST