Re: TK2-04097 Toolkit Error

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/01/06

In article <34B271E1.EF_at_nowhere.ca>, Someone <tsbsps_at_nowhere.ca> wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I have a question I've been wondering about for awhile so here goes.
>I've been working with Oracle for just about a year now, and our
>installed base is really only 2 instances on HP-Unix servers 10.20 (was
>10.10). I've noted that you cannot log in as another user (root or
>other), then su - oracle and run svrmgrm, you always get the following
>error:
>
>TK2-04097 Oracle Toolkit II connection to the window system was refused
>
>Any thoughts on this? When you "su - oracle", you pick up the profile
>of the oracle user id so this all doesn't make much sense to me. I've
>tried xhost'in and other things but to no avail. It's a bit annoying to
>have to log out of the server and log in as oracle all the time.

The root login is explicitly rejected for security reasons. Otherwise, there would be no way to have things that the DBA or SYSADMIN couldn't see. In some ways, it doesn't make sense, but we can be glad when it works. Generally, the times it doesn't make sense are when you don't have to use _all_ the security features.

Other users ought to be able to do it if they are in the same /etc/group, I think. I would guess there is some protection problem somewhere in your window system, but I always used line mode so can't really help more.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com