Re: Help- trying to connect via internet to Orcl8

From: Bas Varkevisser <Bas.Varkevisser_at_cmg.nl>
Date: 1998/01/06

"Michael Will de Laforcade" <mwill_at_dris.com> wrote:

>Help!!

>we are trying to connect to an Oracle 8 server via the internet, but to no
>avial.

>We can ping the remote server, but when we try connecting with Sql plus 8.0
>we get:

>ERROR:
>ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process

Getting this messages means that you have reached the server machine and the sqlnet listener of Oracle, so far so good.

Your problem has nothing to do with the Internet. There must be a problem in one of the configuration files on your server. Check all the entries in ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora

Be sure that the SID matches the SID you choose at database creation time. Also check pathnames.

Good luck.

    _____             _____                Greetings from The Hague
^..^     \9  -n +  |\/   o /  +ser                       orc_at_cmg.nl
(oo)_____/         |/\_____\                 Bas.Varkevisser_at_cmg.nl
    WW WW
               Opinions expressed here are my own most of the time.