Re: Number Size on NT

From: Nevin and Cynthia Hahn <lllacey_at_email.msn.com>
Date: 1998/01/06

Josh Blatt wrote in message <68u1f9$l1v$1_at_news.fas.harvard.edu>...
>We have several tables where some number fields are set to way too high.
>I'm wondering how much I should worry about sizing them precisely. How
 does
>Oracle store these? Is there a performance hit to having variables too
>large? If so, and where are the break points?
>
>Thanks much,

Josh,

The largest size of a column defined as number is 22 bytes so if you defining your number fields with any values you're probably using less. The only perfomance hit is that you may be using more disk space than you have to but I don't think that is so bad.

Nevin Hahn Received on Tue Jan 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CST