Re: ODBC connect of 7.2/7.3 with Oracle8 drivers

From: Steve Moreland <smoreland_at_no.spam.lanvision.com>
Date: 1998/01/06

allen lucas wrote:

> I am in the middle of evaluating the upgrade path to Oracle 8.0.3 on NT
> 4.0 for our shop. We currently have a few Access apps which attach
> ORACLE tables via ODBC drivers. The ORACLE tables belong to various
> instances ranging from 7.2.2.4.9 thru 7.3.3.0.0.
>
> On the test machine, which runs NT 4.0 and Oracle 8.0.3, I have created
> an Access app and attempted to attach Oracle 7.2-7.3 tables with no
> luck. I believe I have the TNSNAMES set up correctly because I can
> execute a ODBCTST80 against the target instance. The error message
> returning states I have a conformance error 7751.
>
> Now, I am truing to attach tothe oracle 7.2-7.3 tables with the oracle 8
> ODBC drivers. Is this correct. Do I still need the old Oracle7.1
> drivers? If so, how can I add the drivers. The ODBC Data Source
> Administrator for 8.0 will no longer allow me to add a ODBC driver and I
> cannot find a ODBC setup program.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give. I am sure this has been tackled by
> someone since Oracle 8 appeared.
>
> --
> \\||// The ballparks have gotten too crowded.
> / \ That's why nobody goes to see the game anymore."
> []--[] Yogi Berra NY Yankees
> @ /\ @
> {----}
> ^^ alucus_at_concentric.net
I'm running two instances on an NT 4.0 box, one at 7.3.3, and one at 8.03. I'm connecting to both just fine with the 7.3 client SQL*Net and the 2.03 odbc drivers. The catch was that I have to use the 8 Listener.

I'd try going back to the 7.2/7.3 SQL*Net stuff, and see what happens.

HTH

--
Steve Moreland
DBA, LanVision Inc.