Re: Migration from Informix to Oracle 7.3.3

From: LMS Configuration Manager <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: 1998/01/06

Nathan,

You hit upon two of the big differences in concept between Oracle and Informix.

Informix uses the concept of multiple databases, Oracle uses the concept of multiple owners to achieve the same effect. At first this is scary since realizing security may not be readily apparent. In the Oracle world create each Informix database as a set of tables belonging to an owner. Control security by only granting access, and only the type of access desired, to either named users or roles.

If a user logs onto Oracle from a local terminal session they can be forced to provide an Oracle ID and an Oracle password which Oracle does check. In this case they already had to login to the system and survive the system logon validation -- so they should be valid users :-).

If a user logs onto an application from a client then the validation is either explicit via a login to SQL*Net or implicit by logging into an application server which then logs into Oracle.

SQL*Net is very persnickety. You can only logon if you can provide the appropriate Oracle ID and password for the instance you are logging into.

Applications with implicit logon must be evaluated on an individual basis.

In any event you can implement as much security as you feel necessary.

Hope this is of value

Jerry