Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>
Date: 1998/01/05

[Peter Knaggs ext 63284 <pknaggs_at_us.oracle.com>]

| One thing that would help a lot in porting oracle to linux would be
| to have a port of Atria's ClearCase multi-version file system to
| linux. That would make grinding out the oracle releases much
| quicker, so the best support for oracle on linux would be a quick
| upgrade to the latest release, and then the linux port could stay
| pretty much in sync with the base (Solaris) port.

I have never used Clear Case so I have to ask: why do you need to port Clear Case to Linux in order to maintain a source tree for Linux under CC? does CC come with a build-system that you'd need under Linux?

anyhow, it would be a Good Thing if you took some time to tell Pure Atria that you guys at Oracle would like to see CC ported to Linux. I've heard good things about CC (currently I use CVS, which can be a pain sometimes).

| My guess is it would perform about the same as it does on Solaris,
| given the same hardware, so the problem would become how to price
| the thing.

I think that Oracle should put a low price-tag on the basic server setup and try to make things as simple as possible. there is a *great* need for databases running under Linux, but as with Windows, people on Linux are usually spoiled after having run databases like Solid and MySQL that require little or no maintainance, that are simple to install and set up and that are easy to just buy.

Linux is very often used as the glue that sticks a webserver to the database and you will find a lot of atypical RDBMS-users in this area. application- and systems-programmers that need RDBMS backends for their applications -- be it a webserver or a corporate system administration tool.

not everyone who shops for a database is an experienced DBA or Oracle application programmer (something that a few people tend to forget as they hop along talking about paralel servers and such).

-Bjørn

--
 Bjørn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>       | "The Net interprets censorship
 <URL:http://www.pvv.unit.no/~borud/>  | as damage and routes around it."