Re: Automatic Oracle shutdown on NT?

From: Kingsfive <kingsfive_at_aol.com>
Date: 1998/01/05

>> In Oracle 8, they added some stuff to services to call a batch file
>> (basically) and shutdown the database when the service shutsdown.
>>
>> You can do the same thing by writing a command file and calling it
>> before you shutdown.
>>
>where is this documented?

Look in the Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Getting Started For Windows NT guide, pages 10-12 through 10-13. You have to set the Registry parameter ORA_SHUTDOWN to TRUE to use this new feature.

I posted a question on this earlier since the batch job hasn't worked for me (using 8.0.3). The batch script uses a temporary INTERNAL password that is supposed to be valid for the length of the shutdown, but Server Manager rejects the attempted logon. I edited the supplied batch script to use the actual internal login, and it now works fine, but still wonder if I missed a step somewhere. The batch script is in %ORACLE_HOME%\database\orashut.bat. It calls %ORACLE_HOME%\database\orashut.sql.

BTW, this only works for shutting down the OracleServiceSID service using the Control Panel. When shutting down NT with the database running, you still end up with a SHUTDOWN ABORT.

Let me know you have better luck with it. Thanks,
J.A. King Received on Mon Jan 05 1998 - 00:00:00 CST