Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Frank Sweetser <rasmusin_at_WPI.EDU>
Date: 1998/01/05

hagan_at_cih.com (Craig I. Hagan) writes:

> joelga_at_pebble.ml.org (Joel Garry) writes:
>
> > In article <EM3rHv.4nA_at_spuddy.mew.co.uk>,
> > Stephen Harris <sweh_at_spuddy.mew.co.uk> wrote:
> > >
> > >Blugh? Have you installed Unix Oracle on any platform? The install
> > >routines (orainst, and root.sh) are broken so badly... (sorry, quick
> > >divergence into a minor rant about broken Oracle install routines)
> >
> > Yeah, I've ranted for years, why can't Oracle understand it ain't good business
> > to piss off people right after you've taken their check? I guess a few years
> > of raking in the bucks makes you think you are doing something right.
>
> *sigh* what is frustrating is that it is SO easy to put together
> an oracle rpm. I've done so, but, i can't distribute it because
> of oracle's licensing (no shocker here), however, i've been

what you could do, though, is release the spec files! while not quite as convenient as actual rpm's, that would be almost as good. there's already a dir on ftp.redhat.com that has spec files for things that can't be released...

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 5.0  Linux 2.0.33    i586   | at public servers
"I'm an idiot.. At least this one [bug] took about 5 minutes to find.."
(Linus Torvalds in response to a bug report.)