Re: Difference of Primary key & Unique Indexes...

From: Adrian Shepherd <Adrian.Shepherd_at_BTINTERNET.COM>
Date: 1998/01/03

In a nutshell (and probably open to correction)

A Primary key uniquely identifies the record within the entity/table , where as a unique index uniquely identifies the column within the record. I have a table with invoices , a Primary key on the invoice_id column uniquely identifies each record, and prohibits duplicate invoices, whereas a unique index on part_number and part_line_number uniquely identifies each line on the invoice...Not the best example but I hope it helps.

Regards

Adrian
<34ad8ad1.347432982_at_news.snu.ac.kr>...