Re: Making an Oracle Database Instance Case - Insensitive

From: Olaf Naumann <onaumann_at_netcologne.de>
Date: 1998/01/02

Nirav Saraiya <nsaraiya_at_netright.com> schrieb im Beitrag <01bd154f$92af8ce0$fa31e826_at_ntnirav>...
> I would like to make an oracle database use case insensitive data
> storage so that the following query will work
>
> select col1 from table1 where col1 = 'sanjay kumar'
>
> col1 may have 'SANJAY KUMAR' or 'Sanjay Kumar' but everything
> will be matched by the above select statement. There should be some
> switch/init parameter that I can set to make the database case
 insensitive.

> Any help would be appreciated !!

a solution that works but rather slow is: select col1 from table1 where to_lower(col1) = 'sanjay kumar'

(i don't know the exact syntax of to_lower). but this can be slow because a function-call is needed for any row in table1. what i did in a case where OFTEN searches like this occurd: i appended a column 'col1_lower' and stored the lower case of col1 in this column.

olaf naumann Received on Fri Jan 02 1998 - 00:00:00 CST