cluster at a time processing

From: <ssharma_at_clearnet.com>
Date: 1998/01/02

I need to make changes to a massive, massive table - currently I use a pl/sql procedure to loop through the table committing after each million updates.

I am wondering if there is an easy way to update a cluster at a time. ie instead of updating a record each time through the loop and doing a commit on the millionth loop, could I update a cluster each time through the loop and the next time through the loop use the next cluster (or block or file).

I realise I can easily get to clusters through rowid to char manipulations, I am hoping there are easier ways to get hold of this info.

Would this update - by - cluster instead of update - by - rowid provide any speedups?