DBA Horror Stories

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1997/12/31

Everybody:

I've decided the world needs a DBA Horror Stories web page. So I need some horror stories. Send your stories to:
joel_garry_at_compuserve.com
All submissions will be anonymized, unless you specifically ask for public attribution. Apologies to anyone seeing this message more than once, I don't know _what_ is with compuserve and newsgroup postings. Must be a sysadmin horror story... so don't reply to this message, send it explicitly to my cserve address. I reserve the right to make final judgement on everything. That's an underscore between joel and garry, for those with strange newsreaders and stranger ideas about email addresses. I will announce if and when this page ever comes off.

So come on! Ever make a really stupid mistake? Fess up! Ever have a dba make BOFH look nice? Ever have management think "Administrator" means "Data Entry Clerk?" Get paged out of a hot date because someone forgot a "commit?" Blown a production system with one mistyped character? Seen some really strange hardware problems? Seen some psychotic consultant take control of managements brains? Have a macho programmer not believe Oracle is more complicated than DBase III? Get backup files confused during a restore? This is your big opportunity for catharsis!

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com