Re: I need an example of Advanced queuing, dbms_pipe, dbms_alert

From: <agaldo_at_repsol.es>
Date: 1997/12/31

In article <689boc$347$1_at_server1.incc.net>,   "Matt Larson" <matt_larson_at_jdedwards.com> wrote:

> Why would anyone use Advanced queuing, dbms_pipe, dbms_alert? I understand
> how these functions are used for communication between sessions, but I can't
> quite understand how they would ever be used. Could someone give a good
> example of the use of intersession communication?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Matt
> Please email answers to matt_larson_at_jdedwards.com

I am currently using pipes and alerts to:

1.- Execute a UNIX command from a database trigger. the trigger writes into the pipe, there is a UNIX process waiting on the ORACLE pipe and whenever it reads something it executes a command.

2.- Alert a client of something that has occured on the server side. The client inserts something int the database and waits (DBMS_ALERT.WAITONE) for an alert. The server processes the information just inserted and when it finishes it alerts (DMBS_ALERT.SIGNAL) the client signaling the alert for which the client is waiting for.

Happy new year,

Antonio Galdo.