Re: SQL*Net 2.x configuration

From: Kannan Padmanabhan <kpadmana_at_erols.com>
Date: 1997/12/31

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997 21:25:07 -0600, Jason Collison <jasonc_at_dlinc.com> wrote:

>L. Tseng wrote:
>>
>> I believe I have configured TNSNAMES.ORA correctly
>> but failed to get serviec name resolved.
>> All I get is
>>
>> ERROR: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
>>
>> However, the TNSNAMES.ORA file works just fine on a different server.
>
>Sounds similar to the problem I am having right now. I don't have a
>solution, but I did find a workaround. When I'm connecting to oracle
>locally I must not specify the SID, but when connecting over the network
>I have to. I would think that Oracle would be smart enough to deal with
>the SID when I'm connecting locally, but obviously I'm faily
>oracle-clueless. :)
>
>Like I said, it's just a workaround. Damn inconvenient, too, because
>now if I want to move applications to a remote machine they must be
>recompiled.
>
>Any tips, anyone?

If you are running TCP/IP try to use the tnsping or the OS Ping utility and try to connect to the machine(server). If you are unable ot connect to the remote server from the client, Try to add the host IP address and the name in the host file on the client and reboot the client and try to ping using the following command either at the command prompt or at the run prompt (if you are using MS windows). I Ping <the IP address or the server name> If the ping responds then the next step is look into your tnsnames file and also the sqlnet.ora files. Remember if you have the right sqlnet and tnsnames file at this point you should be able to connect to the database. If you are still unable to connect to the database and you still are getting the TNS-01254 or ORA - 01223, Try to install the software from the CD again on the client and choose the right adapters. It should solve your problem. IF you are using SPX/IPX protocol, that is whole new world and you still follow most of the above check, but instead of Ping you should try to connect to the server by mapping the drive. If you are able to map the drive you should be able to connect to the server.

I hope this helps in solving your problem. Thanks,
Kannan. Received on Wed Dec 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CST