Re: dbms_sql.parse

From: Joseph S. Testa <jtesta_at_scioto.net>
Date: 1997/12/30

Rajeshwar Rao Surabhi wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I want to know whether we can use more than one DBMS_SQL.PARSE
> statements in a single procedure. I want the help immediately. Please do
> help me. This implies declaring 2 different cursors for two parse
> statements etc.. Any help is really appreciated. Please mail me to the
> following e-mail address i have in my signature file.

Number 1: demanding help will get you nowhere quick. number 2: i am in a good mood, so you are in luck. you can reuse the same cursor you have already opened multiple time by doing multiple parses(and executes and fetches if you are doing selects) without closing and reopening. if you want to fetch from different select statements WITHOUT losing the point of where the cursor is, then you will need different cursors. example: if you want to fetch 1st record from cursor 1 and then fetch 1st record from a different table you will need multiple cursors. if you dont care about the result set of cursor 1 after doing your first fetch, then you can parse the second sql and fetch from it using the same cursor.

hope that helps, joe

--
Joseph S. Testa, Oracle Database Administrator, mailto:jtesta_at_scioto.net (home)
Vice-President Ohio Oracle Users Group,