Re: DBAs please read this!!!

From: Eric Evans <etevans_at_iag.net>
Date: 1997/12/30

Eva,
The way suggested doing should be OK in certain circumstances. However, the supported way is the best way and one that you will have to do to get support if you run into problems with the install. While I understand your problem and if I was in your shoes I might do the same thing if I had a large number of machines of the same configuration to install. But from the support side it becomes difficult when you have every customer doing installs in there own way and expecting the support person to figure out what when wrong (i.e. permissions, missing files, scripts that did not get run,...). There is another way which would be supported - create a staging area and move (tar, ftp, NFS) that to machine you want to install on and do the install from there

Hope this helps,

Eric Evans