Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Bill Eldridge <bill_at_rfa.org>
Date: 1997/12/30

> > I admit that you can get pretty decent boxes when looking for PC
> > servers (We are using IBM 704's as standard servers and are
> > quite satisfied), but the above features are usually missing in
> > PC hardware - even server hardware.
> >
> > That's what you get when you buy Enterprise Ultra hardware from
> > Sun. This is at least one league above PC hardware (yes, in
> > features and in price as well).

> This is the same argument I've heard a thousand times over. More so
> than a technology issue, this is an elitist issue. It seems that for
> some reason unbeknown to me, some admins (especially) and coders are
> 'threatened' by the idea of having something similar in power to what
> is available to the home user these days.

Ummm....I think he was talking about hardware differences, which apparently why ATM works twice as fast running Linux on Sparc vs. Intel (something about the interrupt structure), why SGI's O2 has better graphics performance by bypassing the PCI bus for direct memory access, etc.

I don't think anyone ever exclaimed that the Intel setup is the most elegant in the world. It's gotten a lot faster than before, but... Received on Tue Dec 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CST