Re: Alter index rebuild script

From: Dave Sisk <davesisk_at_travelin.com>
Date: 1997/12/30

Hi Francis:

I not sure the ALTER INDEX ... REBUILD command renames an index (it may do it in some internal manner, but I'm not sure you can see it.) ALTER INDEX...REBUILD let's you
1) "Re-org" the index without dropping/recreating it. 2) "Move" the index to a different tablespace with different INITIAL, NEXT, etc. storage parameters.

This DDL statement rebuilds an index by reading from the old index rather than reading from the associated table, thus it's much faster. Also, if you need to move the index for a PK to a different tablespace, it does this without you having to drop the PK (and any FK's that reference the PK).

Example:

ALTER INDEX index_name REBUILD TABLESPACE new_tablespace_name;

Check the Oracle Administrator's Guide for more detailed information.

Good luck,
Dave Sisk

FRANCIS.ANSAH_at_ntc.nokia.com wrote in article <883398228.144834568_at_dejanews.com>...