Re: MONITORING

From: Nighr <nighr_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/12/29

In article <34969e4d.3498530_at_waubel.wau.mis.ah.nl>, kaboel_at_wau.mis.ah.nl (Kaboel Karso) writes:

>es.

 Of course it doesn't do all I want. Having to look after 1300
>(remote)

 (almost identical) instances, I have to make a distinction in type
>of

monitoring. i.e To KNOW how the database is growing in size, in extents
>etc to do trend analysis and monitor my storageclauses, I have
 to collect the
>data and store them in a central database. In this case
 I don't need to
>monitor all 1300 instances since they're (ALMOST)
 similar. I still need to do
>an analysis to determine which site to

 monitor frequently. A 3% sample wil
>probably do....
>IAP
You may want to check out the "BIG THREE" of database monitoring: Platinum DBVision, BMC Patrol, and Ecotools. I used to work quite a bit with DBVision. There were over 200 different pre-configured statistics and 20 different preset alarms. The sampling rates are kept in one text file per monitored instance; so when you have your first instance configured, just copy that text file to your other instances and change the SID in the header. One of their later versions features the ability to set the same statistic sample rate on many instances at the same time. DBV keeps the history on the local server in either flat files or Oracle tables, so you can consolidate the information at a later time. If you're analyzing serveral instances on one host, you can use one set of DBV tables since instance is one of the fields. Their new ProVision console runs on either NT or Windows 95 and can display activity on many Unix database servers simultaneously.

--Bob. Received on Mon Dec 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CST