Re: Oracle 7.1 on NT 3.51

From: Billy Bob Thornton <bbt_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/12/29

Jim,

Try the service pack before you try anything else. Current SP for NT 3.51 is 5. Methinks the Service Packs are cumulative, i.e. you don't have to run 1 through 5, only 5.

Second, if your system does have plenty of resources, try increasing the parameter that controls memory allotted to the instance in init<sid>.ora. I forget exactly which parameter this is (look it up in the manual). You'll have to restart the instance for the new setting to take effect. This is most likely to help if it is always the same instance that dies. If they both die sometimes, I'd be more inclined to say it's a resource and not an Oracle problem.

BTW, how is Northeast Georgia this year? Sometimes I miss REAL SEASONS here in California. All that dang sunshine gets to you sometimes :-)

Take care,
-Owen-