Re: HELP: Oracle Installation

From: Nighr <nighr_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/12/28

In article <881763623.1321598979_at_dejanews.com>, apccu_at_cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

We're planning on installing ORACLE on our UNIX machine. However, we the
>company has no budget to hire a much

 more experienced programmer or
>administrator. And since,

 I took a ten days course in ORACLE admin., I want
>to try,

if I can install it myself and take care of the administrative end of
>it.

I'm reluctant but, I'm willing to try. I wanted to know whether it's
>really difficult to install it. Is there a
programming side to it?

Here are a few tips:
1. Take your time/don't be rushed. When the system is running and everyone is happy that's a result of you taking the time to make it that way. It also keeps your pager quiet.
2. Make backups on your schedule. You can be forgiven for delaying production, but not for losing data.
3. Test recovery. Why back up if you can't recover in a pinch? This is more true if you're going to do incremental backups. 4. Set up a test instance (test server?). New ideas on how your data is managed should be done on a system that is not mission critical. This includes new utilities and development trials. This instance is also separate from the development server. I remember crashing the development server at one site. 30 idle developers get expensive real quick. 5. Spend time on laying out your database. Oracle 7.3.x prompts you where you want your tablespaces and $ORACLE_HOME and all that. But you should have an idea where you want those datafiles set before running the utilities. 6. Get your resume ready. If your company can't afford a good Oracle DBA, then they won't be able to afford you in six months to two years.

--Bob
rnighting_at_comshare.com Received on Sun Dec 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CST