Re: Oracle 7.3 logfile removed...How 2 Recreate/Clear/Ignore it?

From: Kurt Troyer <ktroyer_at_execpc.com>
Date: 1997/12/28

Brandon,

I too am fairly new to Oracle 7.3, and have come across a similar situation. I believe the way around this is to shutdown the database and use "startup mount" to startup the database. Then issue command "Alter database datafile 'filename' offline;" where filename is the filename of the logfile tablespace datafile.

Once this file is offline, you can issue command "Alter database open". Once database is open, you can use alter database commands to create new logfiles.

I don't guarantee that this will work, but it did work for me.

Kurt Troyer
brandon__at_NO_vv.com_SPAM.NET wrote in message ...
> Hello, everyone. I'm new to the world of Oracle and am slowly
>making my way through it. I've created my own database which works
>great, but in the process I've stepped on one of the logfiles of the
>sample workgroup database that Oracle creates during a fresh
>installation.
>
> The error I get is below and yes, the file doesn't exist because I
>intentionally wiped it. The error used to be 'such-n-such logfile
>belongs to another database'. What I'm looking for is a way to
 recreate,
>clear, ignore or reinit this logfile. I've looked at the ALTER
 DATABASE
>SQL command however, it won't let me DROP or CLEAR this particular
>logfile because it's set 'CURRENT'...If I try to ADD, it says it
 already
>exists... The 'WG73' (the default one created under Solaris x86)
>database refuses to come up because of this error.
>
> If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd much
>appreciate it. I'm trying to work all these bugs out before I
 actually
>have data I'm worried about... Thanks.
>

>ORA-00313: open failed for members of log group 2 of thread 1
>ORA-00312: online log 2 thread 1: '/opt/oracle7/dbs/log2WG73.dbf'
>ORA-07360: sfifi: stat error, unable to obtain information about
 file.
>Intel SVR4 UNIX Error: 2: No such file or directory
>

>brandon__at_NO_vv.com_SPAM.NET (uh, just remove the words in caps to
reply) Received on Sun Dec 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CST