Re: Data Types Question.

From: AMARENDRA B NETTEM <nettama_at_charlie.cns.iit.edu>
Date: 1997/12/28

Jimmy wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Could anyone tells me what is the differences between data types VARCHAR2, VARCHAR and
> CHAR? Which data type is the best?
>
> And in SQLPLUS, I know that if I delete a record from the table, I need to type commit so
> that the record is actually delete from the table. Is there a option in SQLPLUS such that I don't
> need to type commit? And what will happen if I exit SQLPLUS after the delete statement?
>
> Thanks,
> Jimmy

Hi,
CHAR is a fixedsize datatye (max:255 bytes) VARCHAR is GOING replace with VARCHAR2 in future (ANSI SQL ) VARCHAR2 is variable size datatype (max:2000 bytes in oracle7 and

                                    4000 bytes in oracle8).
I prefer VARCHAR2 over CHAR datatype.
For transaction to commit automatically
SET AUTOCOMMIT ON (by default it is off). If you want to exit the sqlplus without commit, the pending trasaction will be automatically commited.

Hope This Helps
AMARENDRA

--
    AMARENDRA B NETTEM