Re: Any Data Warehouse DBA's out there?

From: Mlevison1 <mlevison1_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/12/27

I'm an ORACLE DBA for a Data Warehousing project at UPS. We have three HP machines and have a 200-300 GB data base on each system. We are using Microsoft Access and HPIW as the front ends. Each of the machines has the same set of dimension data and their own set of 12 tables for each month (3 GB each).
We are using PQO with index creation, loading, recovery but not with querying of tables (i.e. all tables have a parallel degree of 1) Our systems have peak periods in which 90% CPU usage is not unusal and analysis has not shown missing or inefficient indexes or init.ora parameters in need of tuning.
.

We are not using paritioned views because HP's IW product takes care of parallelizing queries across monthly partitins by itself. We are using bitmap indexes but have found some performance problems with bitmap indexes and large queries consisting of large "in" clauses (i.e. Memory use on an individual query up to 60 MB!).

.

We are using ORACLE 7.3.2.3 and are about to migrate to 7.3.3.4 (or 7.3.3.5 if available) for performance reasons. Received on Sat Dec 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CST