Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Ph <p_at_c.v>
Date: 1997/12/27

tip <tip_at_blahblah.com> wrote in article <67jrfn$hac_at_eve.enteract.com>...
> there is NO WAY the pc hardware end of linux would be able to handle
 running
> oracle in any decent manner. plus its tweaking is rather limited compared
> solaris and hpux. i have run oracle on both suns and hp boxes - there's
 just
> no way linux is ready (yet) for oracle.
>
> i currently run oracle 7.2.3 on hp9000/s800/k210's running hpux 10.10
 with a
> gig of memory each. that's alright for running oracle.
>
> but imagine a pc with linux and a motherboard limitation of 128M, a
 200Mhz
> processor... i don't think so...

How many intel/ Win NT's are running with 64 MB + Oracle ? You would be surprised , so for small database needs Linux will do (and Linux performance is generally better than NT's). I know of hundreds of systems running Oracle with less than 128MB RAM on HPUX, Digital Unix, AIX, NT ... and they run in production too.

IMO, Oracle does not need to port much to support Linux - I know some of their employees ran Oracle on Linux at home

Some years ago, I ran Oracle 7.0 on Linux with IBCS just as for a test on a 486 with just 16MB Ram -- that is sixteen megabyte !!!! and (to my suprise) it worked - I agree that no business would want to run on such a platform, but for learning Oracle in a Unix environment it was great.