Re: DBAs please read this!!!

From: Tsurng-Chen Chern <maxchern_at_kazakhstan.it.earthlink.net>
Date: 1997/12/26

Of course, you can do it this way if you know how to set up your environment, including dynamic link library, etc..

After all, ORACLE just another program (programs) in your machine. I did this on NT machine too, but of course, you have to change all the registery, and it's a killer.

On Thu, 25 Dec 1997, Evan Cao wrote:

> I have a very symple quetion for you guys. It sound so simple. But
> it will help me a lot. I was frustrated, technically humiliated, and
> confused.
> My question is that WHAT IS RIGHT WAY TO INSTALL ORACLE?
>
> Of course, follow the instructions on the Installation Guide is one
> way. It surely be a
> officially supported and recommended way.
>
> In the real world, however, due to all kinds of reasons, people DO
> NOT do this way.
> The following is the way I am tring to convince those people NOT do,
> but I failed to.
>
> For Sun Machines: OS level Solaris 2.5( OS version is same)
>
> step 1 Install ORACLE on SPARC 20 in the ORACLE Recommaned way.
> step 2 Tar the whole $ORACLE_HOME
> step 3 ftp to a new SUN machine ( OS is same as in step 1, but
> machine be different
> say ES 6000 or some higher than SPARC 10)
> step 4 untar
> step 5 finished ( even did not remake!!!)
>
> What bothered me is that when I called ORACLE tech support, the
> answer is that it
> is NOT supported, but they know in real world people do this way. They
> do not have
> any official word about this practice.
> I have a email from a local ORACLE office confirm that this is way
> is fine.
>

> My question for you all is that
>
> What am supposed to do?
> If you guys see this kind of practice, did ever experieced big
> problem? If you do, please email me. So far I noticed
> 1. 600 ERRORS all over our instances ( This might not be the result
> of this practice, but for me it might be thr culprit)
> 2. One some machine, when create tablespace, it hang the whole
> machine. No respose even hit return untill the create tablespace finish.
>
> I will be very appriciated if can responde this MSG.
>
> Thanks again
>

> ecao_at_ti.com

Max Chern, Unix Software Engineer     |  Voice: 818-296-5014
EarthLink Network, Inc.               |  Fax:   818-296-5113
maxchern_at_earthlink.net                |  3100 New York Dr., Ste 201
http://www.earthlink.net/             |  Pasadena, CA 91107