Re: RAID experience/recommendations

From: Neal Nachtigall <Neal.Nachtigall_at_lodgenet.com>
Date: 1997/12/26

Paul,

Not sure when you posted your question but I have been researching the same question for the last few weeks and interestingly enough we too are using 7.3x on HP9000 series machines. I have gotten several responses as well as came across some good white papers, including:

Specific to Oracle: (from ORACLE)
  Configuring Oracle7 Server for VLDB at http://www.europa.com/~orapub/

         (very good)

Then some general to RAID:

    http://www.lantimes.com/lantimes/features/srraid.html
    http://www.mindspring.com/~hayden/sunraid.htm
    http://www.mindspring.com/~hayden/raid05.htm

All in all, the answers create more questions, such as: factor importance (performance vs. reliability vs. cost) and what is the nature of your system (lots of reads, lots of writes, etc), but basically, from what I'm seeing, RAID0+1 is the "best" but RAID5 is workable especially when you consider that you can configure things such as file distribution, stripe size and write cache-ing to help performance.

Since, the nature of operation systems are an "even" mix of read and writes I think we are going to start with a mix of RAID and ensure that we keep certain things like redo logs and other write intensive files OFF of RAID5, and begin with, at least on our development server, by putting the dbf files on RAID5 and try to determine what kind of performance hit we take (that whole 5-7 (depending on where you read it) step write process). I know that they say disk is cheap, but even so someone brought up the "terabyte" word the other day and at RAID0+1 thats alotta disk.

Actually the LAN times article discusses HPs AutoRAID which might be something to consider.

I don't have all (or even any) of the answers but feel free to respond to me directly for advice (or even better with suggestions). Actually I would welcome input from anyone else as well (anyone out there from HP or ORACLE). Thanks,

neal.nachtigall_at_lodgenet.com

Barry P. Grove <grovebg_at_iSTAR.ca> wrote in article <34A1853C.54EF_at_iSTAR.ca>...