Re: HELP ON SCO ORACLE

From: Sanjay Mathew <alsm1_at_micro.lucent.com>
Date: 1997/12/23

Tim Hung wrote:

> I have upgraded my server to SCO 5.0.4 and I was trying to install
> ORACLE 7.3.2 on it.
>
> The installation appeared to complete successfully but when Server
> Manager tried to start up the database, I get the following error.
>
> SVRMGR>connect internal
> Connected to idle instance.
> SVRMGR>startup
> ORA-07331: smsnsg: unable to allocate the variable portion of the SGA.
> Additional information: 4
>
> I could not find any useful information on this error from the manuals.
>
> I would appreciate any e-mail responses to this problem.
>
> thank you.

I think you got a shared memory problem. Currently i don't have the manual (its the Oracle Server Installation manual, i fail to remember those parameters ) where it describes the parameters that have to be configured at the UNIX kernel level. Please increase the value of the shared memory kernel parameters.

Hope this helps.

--
Sanjay T. Mathew (alsm1_at_micro.lucent.com)
Certified Oracle DBA