Re: Any Data Warehouse DBA's out there?

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/12/23

In article <34A00991.F85876DB_at_mindspring.com>, Stephen <atldude_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I'm looking to strike up a conversation with some people who are using
>Oracle 7.3 as a data warehouse database. We're running Oracle 7.3.2.3
>on a Sun Solaris system (E6000 running Solaris 2.5.1). I'd really like
>to share experiences with things like SGA sizes and performance using
>RAID arrays. We're using Sun's series 200 RAID Arrays and the data
>files are on striped RAID-5 volumes. We mostly reading so the write
>performance hit on RAID-5 doesn't bother us, and we've got the Oracle
>files (non data) on Non RAID drives.
>
>I'd just like to discuss how others are experiencing the use of Oracle
>7.3 as a data warehouse engine. We might be able to share some
>insights.

Hi Stephen,

I'm not currently using Oracle but I did on my last assignment so there are a few thing that I remember. To respond to a few of the issues that you raised.

SGA size depends on number of users and size of db. On a similar note you might try raising the number of blocks for read ahead.

RAID 5 (depending on implementation) has good read and good large block write performance and poor small block write performance. If your update window is large enough to support Raid 5 then no problem otherwise you might want to think about Raid 0+1 for the current partitions. Which brings me to my next point.

Depending on size you will want to partition the data (typically by date). Partitioned views helps here.

You may also want to explore bit mapped indexes but make sure they work with partitioned views.

I hope this helps get things started

mjr Received on Tue Dec 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CST