Re: Help needed, SVP, to connect Forms 4.5 to Personnal Oracle7

From: <astephan_at_gmx.net>
Date: 1997/12/23

In article <349cacd2.0_at_news.total.net>,
  "James Pearson" <jpearson_at_total.net> wrote:

> I want to learn FORMS 4.5 so I installed it along Personnal Oracle7 for NT
> on my computer at home. The installation went fine, unfortunately I haven't
> been able to figure out how to define the connection between Forms 4.5
> Designer and Personnal Oracle so that I can logon.
>
> When I try to connect I get the following message:
> ORA-12203: TNS: unable to connect to destination
>
> Is there default (pre-defined) User name, Password and Database that I can
> use when the «Connect» dialogue box comes up in Forms that I can use in
> order to connect to Personnal Oracle?
>
> Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. The Help files have me
> going around in circules and the text books just say to ask the system
> administer what the proper User name, Password and Database are.
>
> Scott, Tiger works fine for the SQL logon.

The internal accounts (and scott/tiger) are predefined during installation, so you can fire up sql*plus with system/manager and create user xyz identified by blabla as your own connect. When you start f45des you only have to fill in the xyz and blabla but no tns address! If you leave blank the database field you will be connected to the PO7 DB on your machine. If you fill in any characters in the database field of the logon window f45des will try to connect you using sql*net to the specified machine. So if you don´t have configured any Network Connection with this name (using the config tools of oracle) there will be the tns error message.

Andreas

(for mail remove the spamblocker from my mail address)