Oracle 8 Server Installer for Solaris problem

From: <gerry_at_cs.tcd.ie>
Date: 1997/12/22

Hi,

        I have tried everything I can think of to install both the server software and create a DB object at the same time. It either:

  1. hangs and does not finish, or
  2. finishes but does not create the DB object because it cannot allocate SGA space. I have not been able to make the installer create a DB object in a seperate phase to software installation as the installer insists on making me chose something to install even if I user the Create DB option and then does nothing. The documentation only gives examples of standalone DB creation using the Oracle Enterprise Manager, which the documentation tells me only runs on Windows/NT. Can anybody help? I am an experienced unix/Solaris installer and have tried using every possible default. I would prefer not to have to go back to the labyrinth of the Oracle phone "help" system. This installer, so far, is the greatest piece of crud I have ever I come across. I am sure it is my ignorance/inexperience with Oracle, but there should be some good documentation to help me. Thanks in advance, Gerry O'Brien