Re: Copying Database

From: David Shi <dshi_at_magpage.com>
Date: 1997/12/21

I tried to duplicate a database following this post, but didn't succeed, I remember the error message is something like "sys.dbf" need to be recovered, what did I miss?

Also, is this topic covered somewhere in Oracle's manuals or other places?

Thanks a lot!

David

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:08:22 -0600, Sheilah Scheurich <scheuric_at_wantnospamsprynetatall.com> wrote:

>You are actually on the right track, what you need to do is take the
>existing database and create a control file. The first thing you do is
>BACKUP YOUR PRODUCTION DATABASE!!!. Now create new create controlfile
>script. You do this from your existing database with the command: "alter
>database backup control file to trace". Next, shutdown the database and
>copy the redo logs and database files to a new location (it is good to
>also rename them as well - just document - so that you can easily perform
>the next step). The trace file is going to be dumped into your user trace
>directory, with the same cryptic format that it usually takes, so just
>look for the trace file with the time that you performed the command. Now,
>edit the file, remove all the junk from the top and change the create
>controlfile command to read
> create controlfile set database "newdbname" resetlogs
>
>Next, create a new init.ora file with new names for the control files.
>Now shutdown the existing database, or this won't work. Now go into the
>new SID. In unix it is ORACLE_SID=newdbname;export ORACLE_SID
>
>connect internal and run this new create script. Voila, you have a new
>database!
>

>Declan O'Reilly wrote:
>
>> I would like to create a second instance of my database on the same
>> Unix Server.
>> I was wondering is it possible to copy of all the tablespace, rollback
>> and redo files
>> to a new destination and then update the copied system tablespace with
>> the new locations
>> of the tablespaces etc, aswell as creating a new init???.ora file. Is
>> this all there is to it or am I way off base.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Declan O'Reilly

If this is a posting to newsgroup, I appreciate if you can also forward your reply to "dshi_at_magpage.com", since I find it is very easy to miss postings on the newsgroup. Thanks a lot! Received on Sun Dec 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CST