Moving tables and constraints

From: Michael Wilson <michael_at_ebay.com>
Date: 1997/12/20

We have a number of tables which we're moving from regular disk to RAID, and are resizing the tablespaces at the same time. Some of these tables are referenced by forign key constrains in many other tables. Here's what we end up doing:

  1. Export the table.
  2. Rename the old table.
  3. Drop ALL the foriegn constraints, and constraints on the origional table (since they can't be renamed, that we can tell).
  4. Define the new table in the "right" tablespaces.
  5. Import.
  6. Recreate all the foriegn key constraints.

The problem is, we're running into tables with scores of foriegn key constraints, and this is becoming quite tedious (since the system has to be down while we do this).

Is there a better way?

Thanks! Received on Sat Dec 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST