AUDIT_FILE_DEST

From: <mmorga2_at_amfam.com>
Date: 1997/12/19

Greetings,

We are running Oracle 7.3.2.3 on an IBM RS/6000 - AIX 4.1.5

As you may know, Oracle writes an audit file (ora_<pid>.aud) to the AUDIT_FILE_DEST whenever anyone does a CONNECT INTERNAL. This cannot be disabled. Oracle calls this a "security feature". Well, in our environment today, security is not a high priority (tomorrow that may change). However, free diskspace IS a concern.

Here's my question ....

In order to keep Oracle's security feature from filling up my filesystem (and save me the work of periodically deleting hundreds of .aud files), what are the ramifications of assigning /dev/null to AUDIT_FILE_DEST? I realize that, if I wanted to view an audit file, I would not be able to. But as I said, being able to audit whenever someone connects internal is not important today.

Thanks,
Mike Morgan