Are Oracle 8 books OK for v7.3?

From: Brian McCullogh <brian_at_ums1.lan.mcgill.ca>
Date: 1997/12/19

We currently have Oracle 7.3.2 running on Windows NT 4. I would like to buy a few supplementary Oracle Press handbooks, but the budget for such items is very tight. After reading a recent post on Oracle-L that lamented the expense of buying a new set of handbooks for each release of Oracle 7, I am looking for a way to stretch the funds available to me as far as possible.

Would the Oracle 8 handbooks have enough overlap to cover v7.3, for a newcomer to Oracle? I have taken the "Intro to Oracle" and the "DBA Admin" courses, and my background is in IMS/DLI and Natural/Adabas on MVS. In particular, I am interested in the following handbooks:

          DBA
          Backup & Recovery
          Troubleshooting
          Tuning
          Advanced Tuning & Administration.

TIA for any advice.

Brian McCullogh
Information Systems Resources
McGill University
brian_at_ums1.lan.mcgill.ca Received on Fri Dec 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST