Re: HELP HELP HELP! Simple PL/SQL Problem !!!!?????

From: Oliver Critchley <oliver.critchley_at_no.spam.please>
Date: 1997/12/17

Markus wrote:

> Can anyone HELP??
>
> I am an experienced systems programmer but have never used Oracle or SQL
> before, and I am trying to teach myself PL/SQL.
>
> I have written a simple multiple file update procedure, which took some
> doing, but it works. As this procedure will process some 500,000 records I
> want to display it's progress to the terminal (say every 1000 records), and
> control totals at the end of the run. Can anyone tell me how to display a
> message on the screen?? I do not seem to be able to find any type of
> display command!!

If you use the DBMS_OUPUT module (and specifically the PUT_LINE) method, you can output stuff to the screen from PL/SQL... but the catch is that the output buffer isn't flushed to the screen until the PL/SQL finishes. Bummer if you're wanting to log the progress of the PL/SQL.

Does anyone know a workaround to this?

Oliver. Received on Wed Dec 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CST