Re: Tablespace replication

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1997/12/16

In article <66qqjr$3ro$1_at_news01.btx.dtag.de>, Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de> wrote:
>Zachary Agatstein wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I have an Oracle Workgroup Server 7.3. There is an "operational"
>> tablespace there. Can I create a "test" tablespace, copy the table
>> structure from the "operational" one, and then populate the "test" with
>> some subset of data from the "operational" TS? Can I keep the same table
>> and column names in both tablespaces? Finally, is there a tool that
>> would make it easy to do the schema copying (other then writing a rather
>> complicated SQL script)?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Zach Agatstein
>Hi Zach,
>
>within the same schema (u_old) you can't use the same names. If you
>intend to create the tables into a different schema then create the new
>user u_new. Set u_new's default tablespace to the new created
>tablespace. Then export user u_old and import him into u_new.

The part of the question I am most interested in is the "subset of data." Some of my datasets are too large to duplicate or put in a file, so I am interested in sampling routines. Like, how to get every 1000th rownum into an export, without dragging down the performance of a 7/24 production system... and completing in some human lifespan.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com