Re: Bit Map Indexes

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/12/16

Oracle will use as many indexes as are effective to make the query efficient.

In the past I have seen it use 6 out of 8, ignoring two possible indexes because
the added benefit of using them was small.

Queries may also mix b-tree and bitmap indexes, often along the lines of:

	Select rowids from b-tree
	convert rowids to bitmap
	Operate AND/OR/MINUS between created bitmap and existing bitmap
	Convert bitmap result to rowids

Be warned, I have found a problem where operations involving b-tree and bitmap MINUS go wrong.

BTW: bitmap indexes include null values, so a query like:

        select count(*) from table where bitmapped_col is not null; can be satisfied very quickly through a bitmap index.

Gil Givati <atlsyb1_at_inter.net.il> wrote in article <3490090C.6747_at_inter.net.il>...