Re: Connection Time with Netware

From: Timo Haatainen <Timo.Haatainen_at_tietogroup.com>
Date: 1997/12/15

Renato Massaroli wrote:

> We upgraded from Oracle 7.1 to Oracle 7.3
>
> Everything is fine but the connection of client application to the server.
> With 7.1 it was fast, with 7.3 it takes nearly 1 minute.
>
> Can anybody help me ?
>
> Renato Massaroli
> renato_at_chiantinet.it

Oracle has added a default tracing facility to Oracle 7.3.x. We were experiencing also very long connect times (HP-UX, TCP/IP), and it got worse over time. The following is provided by Oracle Support for UNIX (this MAY apply to Netware as well):

    Workaround on Unix:

  1. Shut down all 7.3 databases.
  2. Reinitialise the Oracle Trace output files:
                cd $ORACLE_HOME/otrace/admin
                rm -f process.dat regid.dat
                otrccref

      3. Set the environment variable EPC_DISABLED to TRUE for all
users.
         If you have a common environment script where ORACLE_HOME is
set
         this is probably the best place to set this.
         Eg: In a Bourne script:
                EPC_DISABLED=TRUE; export EPC_DISABLED

             In the C-Shell:
                setenv EPC_DISABLED TRUE

      4. Make sure any SQL*Net connections have EPC_DISABLED in the
         environment. To ensure this you can modify the
'SID_LIST_listener'
         clause in the 'listener.ora' file and add:

                (ENVS='EPC_DISABLED=TRUE')

         to the SID_DESC for each 7.3 database. Add the entry AFTER the
         (ORACLE_HOME=...) clause.

         Eg:
            SID_LIST_LISTENER=
             (SID_LIST=
              (SID_DESC=
                (SID_NAME=DB1)
                (ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/OFA_base/app/oracle/product/7.3.2)
                (ENVS='EPC_DISABLED=TRUE')
              )
              (SID_DESC=
                (SID_NAME=DB2)
                (ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/OFA_base/app/oracle/product/7.3.2)
                (ENVS='EPC_DISABLED=TRUE')
              )
            )

        5. Restart and databases and SQL*Net listeners.

Hope this helps!

--

Timo Haatainen
Carelcomp Forest Oy