Re: VARCHAR2 vs. CHAR

From: Paul Brewer <paulb_at_pbrewer.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/12/14

In article <348ecade.0_at_dns.amsinc.com>, Roy Chang <roy_chang_at_mail.amsinc.com> writes

>Hello everbody,
>
>I had heard that if I set a field to VARCHAR2(XX), XX being less than 35 or
>so, that it wouldn't save any space or make a difference. Is this correct?
>And if so, should I change the fields that are VARCHAR2 and less than 35 to
>CHAR(XX)?
>
>Any comments would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Roy.

Hello Roy.
I've been where you are, and had this discussion. Trust me. Just use varchar2 for everything that is text and you won't go wrong - yes, even the varchar2(1)'s that will only ever have one character.
It isn't worth worrying about.
Paul Brewer Received on Sun Dec 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CST