Re: Do I Need A DBMS or Data Warehouse??

From: Tlcbus <tlcbus_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/12/13

Traditional rdbms manage operational data and capture short transaction in large volume(called transaction oriented rdbms). Data in this type of application tends to be normalized in order to maintain data consistency. Transaction oriented data base supports lower level of operation such as data capturing, billing and etc. They can not support descision making process for middle and top management and the concept of decsiosn support and data warehaouse is evolved from the need to support decsion making process. Report generation do not necessay means you need a datawarehouse. Datawarehouse contain data summarized, aggregated from transaction data(flat file, data base and etc) and they normally used for pattern recognition, trend analysis, forecast purpose(top manager's job). Data are stored redundantly and normally can not be changed and loaded from transaction data at some interval. hopefully, this will help you

Ted Chyn Received on Sat Dec 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CST