Re: Oracle Names on HP-UX

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1997/12/13

Chuck Hamilton (chuckh_at_dvol.com) wrote:
: On 10 Dec 1997 06:53:06 GMT, twod_at_not.valid wrote:

: >You know, what I'm beginning to think that this nameserver bizzo aint all
: >that it's cracked up to be :)

: I don't know about that. I had it working on HPUX 10.20, Oracle 7.3.2
: at my old company. It actually worked quite well. We were never able
: to get that automatic detection feature to work, but did get it
: working without that.

Oh, it's certainly useful, but it does seem to have a few quirks.

We have it working on a couple of 7.1.6 databases, the 7.3.2 keep freezing (now seen on two boxes) and the 8.0.3 crashes and burns. It could just be our luck though.

If the first nameserver does not respond after a certain period of time, why does the networking code not go to the secondary and then to the tertiary instead of freezing - 'Fixed in the next release' no doubt ?

Automatic detection has caused us a few problems, someone once brought up a test instance with the same name as a production instance (I know this is a strict no-no, but they obviously didn't) and the nameserver was quite happy sending some connections to the test instance and some to the production - no warnings or errors generated.

IAP

--
I am using anti-spam measures, please replace 'not.valid' with 'value.net'