Using bitmap indexes on Oracle 7.3

From: JAgra <jagra.nospam_at_mail.telepac.pt.nospam>
Date: 1997/12/12

Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate the use of bitmap indexes on a column with high update rates on a medium sized table ( 1 million rows ) with very few or no deletes.

The column will have only two values ( Y and N or something like it ) and will be heavily scanned and updated.

Should I use use a bitmap index or not ?

Please reply also by mail ( take the 'nospam' off the address ) if possible as I only read a few messages posted to this newsgroup.

Thanks in advance.