Re: Remote shutdowns & startups via command line for 7.3.3 under NT

From: Michael Serbanescu <mserban_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/12/12

You would need to install at least Server Manager (line mode) and SQL*Net on the client machine(s). I am not sure if you can do the Server Manager installation using the Oracle Installer without installing the whole RDBMS kernel (since Server Manager is an Oracle7 Server utility). If you can figure out what (support) files you need in addition to svrmgrxx.exe, you could copy them directly from the CD onto the client machine(s).

If you have several database servers, you could use one of them as a "central command post" to shutdown the SIDs on the other servers.

Note that you can shutdown a remote instance, but you cannot start it unless you are able to access (from that central machine) the drive where the initsid.ora for the remote instance is located. And you have to specify the pfile parameter in your startup command as follows:

svrmgr> set instance 'service_name_for_remote_instance'
svrmgr> connect internal
svrmgr> startup ....pfile='full_path_name_for_remote_initsid.ora'

Hope this helps.

Michael Serbanescu