Personal Oracle and New Application

From: Hunter Dorroh <hunter_at_absnt.com>
Date: 1997/12/12

I am looking to deploy a small database to use as a backend to index images stored on a optical drive. Very simple, just two tables and maybe about 100,000 records with a maximum of three users. Since my customer is a state agency budget is an issuse, so I was thinking of deploying the personal or lite version of Oracle.

I was wondering if this is feasible. A co-worker was thinking of using Microsoft Access (argh!) and creating an .MDB that was on a shared drive. Then maybe using VB to talk to it.

However, I would really like to not have to do it this way. Could I do something similiar by running one of the smaller, less expensive Oracle servers on a 95 or NT workstation and have the users query the database using Java and JDBC?

Please let me know the answer as soon as possible since they are awaiting purchase information.

Hunter
p.s. Happy Holidays Received on Fri Dec 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CST