Re: Semaphore parameters

From: Timo Haatainen <Timo.Haatainen_at_tietogroup.com>
Date: 1997/12/12

Harri Muttilainen wrote:

> Hi, all!
>
> We are running Oracle 7.2.3 on HP-UX 10.01 (10.2 is on the way).
> What I would like to now is, what is the relationship between the
> oracle processes and the system's semaphore parameters. We recently
> increased the SEMMNS parameter from 250 to 350 and we got 20 more
> oracle processes. What are the affecting parameters and how are
> they related? Can anyone tell? The manuals are not very specific
> on this matter.
>
> Kind regards
> Harri Muttilainen
> harri.muttilainen_at_finncarriers.fi

Hello Harri,
this is only guessing but it seems to have one-to-one relationship. Having parameter PROCESSES=n in init.ora will take n semaphores. My value for n is 200 and ipcs -sb gives:

T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP NSEMS Semaphores:
s 272 0x00000000 --ra-ra---- oracle dba 200

--

Timo Haatainen
Carelcomp Forest Oy