Re: Oracle 8 on NT

From: Tom Cooke <tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/12/11

Hmmm. My personal opinion is that Unix is better for lots of users and larger databases, for the simple reason (at least for me) that with Unix I can see what's going on - I know exactly what files have been put where, I can use ps and truss to check stuff out, there's a handy command line, ... all the usual Unixphile stuff plus the comments by people who are supposed to know. However, I'm prepared to concede that we rely on vendor support to back us up with big Unix databases, and given the same level of vendor support (not sure how you'd do this) from your NT hardware vendor, _and_ Microsoft, you could probably do just as well on NT. We run small (up to 10 GB) databases on Unix and on NT without vendor support on hardware or software, and even there I prefer Unix for the above reasons. I suppose if I'd come from a Microsoft environment I might be saying exactly the opposite.

In article <348ef8f5.160181478_at_news.racal.com>, Rick Kushner <Rick_Kushner_at_usa.racal.com> writes

--
Tom Cooke