Migrate from 7.2.3 to 8.0 using Migrate Utility or Export/Import

From: Rob Rebmann <rob.rebmann_at_londonlife.com>
Date: 1997/12/10

We plan on migrating from 7.2.3 to 8.0.3 in the next month and have approximately 1 month allocated to perform the migration. We have 1 production and 4 test instances to migrate. I would be interested to hear which migration strategy other Oracle customers have taken, why and what your experience was. We do not plan on exploiting any of the new features supplied with Oracle8 at this time as we do not feel we can migrate, investigate and implement the new features in a one month time frame.

Our environment
RS6000/J50
8 CPUs
2 gigs memory
AIX 4.2
33 GB of data

If we choose the Export/Import route we predict an elapsed time of about 36 hours to complete just the Export/Import. Our largest table consumes 330,000 8k blocks.

You can contact me via Email at rob.rebmann_at_londonlife.com Received on Wed Dec 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CST