Granting select on other users schema

From: <smulcahy_at_soggey.ilo.dec.com>
Date: 1997/12/10

Hi,

As a novice DBA, I'm currently stuck on a permissions problem. I'm not sure if this is the product of my unfamiliarity with the "Oracle way" or because I'm missing something simple.

Basically, I have a user foo. I want to give select access on certain tables within foo's schema to user john. I have tried the following

grant select on foo.sometable to john

But have gotten the error "insufficient privileges". Should I be getting this error while running the above statement as sys or system? Maybe I'm too used to the unix super-user mode of thinking.

I know I can connect as foo and then grant the privileges but I'd prefer to do it as system or sys or some other dba user.

Thanks for your help,

-stephen

Stephen Mulcahy, Digital Equipment International BV, Galway, Ireland.
               mailto:smulcahy_at_soggey.ilo.dec.com
      Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are purely my own.